What causes choking
- Small things or food lumps can cause choking and stop baby breathing.
- Keep small things away from baby.
- Watch baby while he eats. Cut up small food.
What to do if baby is choking
- Stay calm! Look in and clear baby’s mouth. Check if breathing.
- If baby cannot breathe ring 000 for an ambulance or take baby to clinic straight away.
What to do if baby is not breathing
- Lay baby down along your arm. Give 5 firm back blows and then lie baby on back along your arm. Give 5 chest pushes.
- Look in baby’s mouth. If airway is still blocked and baby is still not breathing, repeat the back blows and the chest pushes.
- Continue the 5 back blows, 5 chest pushes and breath checks until blockage moves or medical help arrives.