Changing cloth nappies: getting ready
- Before changing cloth nappies, make sure you have everything you need within reach. This includes a fresh nappy, baby cream, baby wipes or washcloths, and some water. Never leave baby unattended.
- Lie your baby down on the change table. If she grizzles, you might like to sing her a song or give her a favourite toy to keep her entertained. Always keep your hands on your baby so she doesn’t fall.
- Undress baby’s bottom half, then undo the nappy. She might do a wee, so have a spare folded cloth handy. Use the front of the nappy to wipe off any poo, then fold the nappy tightly to stop spills.
Cleaning bottoms and putting on clean cloth nappies
- Gently clean baby’s bottom with baby wipes or a damp washcloth. Put cream on his bottom. Always wipe front to back to avoid infections.
- Take a new folded cloth nappy with a liner. Slip it under your baby, then fasten it with clips.
- Put a nappy cover on, covering the whole nappy to avoid leaks.
Changing square cloth nappies: handy tips
- Once you’ve dressed your baby, put him somewhere safe while you wash your hands.
- When travelling, carry spare cloth nappies, clips, liners, pilchers, baby cream and waterproof bags.
- You might need to change cloth nappies more often than disposables – it could be 6-7 times a day.